Thursday, February 20, 2014

You Are What You Eat (and Watch, Breathe, Hear, and Feel)

You are what you eat. We all know this to be true. If you eat healthy, you'll be healthy, and vice versa. Except for the occasional person who defies rational science and manages to break these rules.

I've found the same to be true in other things we consume. Not just food, but music, culture, images, advice. If you take in the negative, it will be nearly impossible for you not to BE negative yourself. Not that I'm in favor of turning a blind eye to the real but negative issues affecting our world, but there are a lot of needless negatives that we consume on a daily basis. In an effort not to turn into these things, here's my list of 8 damaging things I vow to eradicate from my life:


  • Useless, hurtful Facebook rants that in no way instigate positive change or understanding.
  • Depressing movies. I can appreciate the artistic aesthetic, but I need to consume these in moderation. Life's too short to be sad.
  • Scary movies. What I said before. Life's too short to be scared.
  • Music that brings me down. If it doesn't bring a smile to my face or at least a vague sense of peace, I'm skipping it.
  • Talking heads. I love the band. Hate the angry political instigators.
  • Gossip and Tabloids. I'm making a conscious effort to recognize these for the false and damaging things that they really are. 
  • Television comas. I never wake up thinking, "Gosh, I wish I'd watched more t.v. last night." I always feel better when I've gone to bed with a book instead. 
  • Couch time. A good day requires physical movement. This one's non-negotiable for me. 
Here's to more light in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment