Monday, October 21, 2013

There's Room for Laughter in the Bedroom

I'm happy to say that the first two books of The Sylvie Series are now live on Amazon. The genre of this series is erotic comedy. When I mentioned to friends, a hetero couple, a few months back that this was what I was working on, they looked perplexed. Erotic comedy? That's a strange mix.

I didn't think so. I see erotic comedy as the evolution of romantic comedy. It also speaks to a group of consumers who enjoy erotica, but can't stand the melodramatic. Sexy doesn't always have to be serious.

I found my friends' reactions interesting and we talked about it a little more, eventually agreeing that women are perhaps more open to laughter in the bedroom than men. Of course, that's a sweeping generalization, but take it with a grain of salt.

Men just want it dirty, my male friend said. We don't want to laugh about it.

Sometimes women do, I countered. Sometimes the idea, the topic, and the act of sex all feel so serious that we just want to lighten things up. The female half of the couple agreed.

Laughter, like sex, can be a release. And many women instinctively gravitate to anything that relieves the pressure of a thousand different commands that bounce around in our brains, including: be sexy, look pretty, lose weight. These are unfortunate and unrealistic voices that we hear, and we often relate them to sex. I don't think it has to be that way. I vote to turn off those voices and permit ourselves to giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment